Let Us Help You Find the Best Vacuum for Pet Hair on Hardwood Floor
Pet hair – it gets into everything. If you have pets in your home, you know how important it is to have a good vacuum on hand. But what if you have hard flooring? A typical vacuum just kicks dirt, pet hair and leftover pet food around.
Dyson DC50 Ball Compact Animal Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Our favorite for 2020
BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum
A very close runner-up
BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum
Cordless, portable and ultra-compact
That’s why you need a vacuum designed for hardwood flooring – and one that can easily capture pet hair without breaking your back. How do you find the right one? Keep these factors in mind:
- Vacuum Type: There are vacuums designed just for hard flooring, and there are models that can handle both hard surfaces and If you have both in your home, you may want a versatile model, but make sure that it has the option of turning off the brush head. Otherwise, the vacuum will just kick up the dirt and debris, making it hard to clean. But if you have hardwood flooring throughout your home, consider a model that only cleans hard surfaces.
- Suction Power: If you have pets, you have hair everywhere. You need a vacuum with good suction power to capture hair, food and other debris without pushing it around the floor.
- Ratings: How well is the vacuum rated by users? If people are having issues with the vacuum losing suction or claiming that it doesn’t do a good job of cleaning up pet hair, you may want to cross that model off your list.
Finding the right vacuum is never easy. To save you the time and aggravation of researching each model yourself, we’ve selected five of the best vacuums on the market for hard flooring and pet hair.
The Best Vacuum for Pet Hair Reviews
BISSELL PowerEdge Pet – The PowerEdge Pet from Bissell is designed specifically for hard flooring, and its unique shape is unlike anything you’ve seen on a vacuum. The V-shape head pushes large debris, like pet food, into a center suction path, while the ends of the head capture fine debris that would be missed by other vacuums.
The great thing about the V-shaped head is that it can easily clean around furniture legs, and the swivel feature allows for easy maneuvering of the vacuum.
The PowerEdge can even clean low pile rugs. And its strong suction captures fine pet hair that your broom or upright carpet vacuum would otherwise miss.
The best part is that the PowerEdge Pet is extremely affordable.
Hoover T-Series WindTunnel Pet – If you want a vacuum that can do it all, the T-Series WindTunnel is a smart choice. And if you have a small space, you’ll love the fold down handle that makes this vacuum even more compact.
A simple built-in pedal allows you to shut off the brush roll for easy transition from carpeting to hard flooring. If you have both floor types in your home, this feature allows you to clean all of your home’s flooring seamlessly without having to lug around two vacuums.
An automatic rewind feature neatly winds up the cord inside of the unit for easy clean-up and storage.
The WindTunnel Pet features HEPA, carbon and rinsable filters, which makes it ideal for homes with pets. This model also comes with the turbo brush attachment to remove pet hair from furniture and stairs with ease.
BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX – The BDH2020FLFH from Black and Decker is a cordless, compact vacuum that uses Lithium Technology for fade-free power and strong suction.
The BDH2020FLFH’s biggest selling point is that it’s lightweight and ultra-compact, which means you never have to lug around a large upright to clean pet hair from the sofa. This model also comes with stick vacuum and pet hair brush attachments.
The three-stage filtration system prevents debris and dust from escaping. And the 20V MAX lithium ion battery gives you 20 minutes of use before recharging is needed.
Because of its compact, cordless design, this is the best cat litter vacuum we’ve found.
Shark Navigator Deluxe – The Navigator Deluxe is one of Shark’s best-selling upright vacuums, and it’s great for cleaning up pet hair from hardwood floors. Plus, the Never Loses Suction feature allows for years of use without impacting the vacuum’s performance.
Lightweight and easily maneuverable, the Navigator Deluxe can clean both hard flooring and carpeting with ease. It also comes with pet hair cleaning tools, so you can keep your home hair-free from top to bottom.
The large bagless canister is twice the size of the original Navigator, so you can capture more dirt, dust, debris and pet hair before needing to empty the canister.
Dyson DC50 Ball Compact Animal – The Dyson DC50 never loses suction, and is exceptionally lightweight at 11.6 pounds. The Animal version of the DC50 also features pet tools to clean up pet hair, food bits, cat litter and dirt with ease.
The 2-tier radial cyclone captures tiny debris, and the self-adjusting head allows you to seamlessly transition from carpeting to hard flooring. The brush bar features a mixture of: stiff carbon fiber filaments to remove fine debris from hard flooring, and nylon bristles to reach deep down in carpeting to remove more dirt.
And for easy removal of hair and dirt from other surfaces, the DC50 comes with combination and stair tools.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best Vacuums for Pet Hair If You Have Hard Flooring
- Corded or Cordless: Do you prefer corded or cordless models? A corded vacuum comes with the added benefit of never losing suction power because of a dying battery. But a cordless model has the benefit of being lightweight and can be moved around the house without having to worry about cords.
- Compact or Full Size: Vacuums designed just for hard flooring are typically compact in size and lighter in weight than a full-size, upright vacuum. But you’ll also find some compact upright models that can do both hard flooring and carpeting, like the Dyson DC50 or the Bissell WindTunnel with the collapsing handle. A full-size vacuum may have a bigger canister, more suction power and/or more tools to help get the job done quickly.
- Filtration and Tools: If you have pets, it’s important to choose a vacuum that has a good filtration system and handy tools to remove pet hair and debris from every inch of your home. At the very least, the vacuum should have a HEPA filter and a turbo brush.
- Price: The final thing you should consider is the price of the vacuum. You have a budget that you need to stick to, and thankfully, most hard floor vacuums are very affordable. Nevertheless, make sure that you consider quality over cost. Cheap vacuums are usually cheap on performance, too.
[RE1]Correct spelling as per Hoover